Sunday, September 20, 2009

Why Buy More When You Can Restore?

People often ask, "Why should I restore an old sofa when I can buy a new one for the same price"?

I can think of three reasons to restore instead of replacing:

1) Price
2) Comfort
3) Convenience


In my experience, you can't buy new for the same cost to restore. Unless you currently have a very inexpensive piece of leather furniture, the cost to restore should be about 30%-50% of the cost of a new piece.
I shop furniture retailers all of the time to keep up on marketing, and prices. I know what buying new furniture costs.
In many cases, people want to replace their furniture because of the way it looks, not because it's not comfortable anymore. So restoring, can keep the furniture you already know you like in your home. During the restoration process we can change the look by changing the color. Many people don't realize you can recolor leather. Now the leather sofa you now and love looks new, and has a new look.
To buy a new leather piece you have to go shopping, and deal with sales people. Where do you go? What is quality? Do you know the difference between Leather and Leather Match?
Suede or Nu buck? Aniline or Performance? What does Distressed Leather mean?
Are you dizzy yet? We haven't started negotiating prices yet. Do you buy online OR in the store?
What about delivery? What do you do with the old stuff? Sell it? Move it to another room?
WHEW! I'm tired already and I am not buying anything.
If you restore, we pick it up, and deliver it. No messes, simple, and convenient.

Unless someone has a piece that is beyond repair, and these are few and far between, I always recommend restoration. I do not like to see leather end up in a land fill, when it can be made beautiful again. I also hate watching people waste money on things they"think" they need.

Before you decided to throw out, discard, set the old stuff to the side....consider restoring what you have and save yourself lots of pain and agony. LeatherSmith's, We bring Leather Back To Life!

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alena
    Leather sofa

    ReplyDelete